Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Nail Stamping Tips & Tutorials 2 - How to Make Decals

As I promised on my previous post here, I am posting a tutorial on how to make decals!

Here is another design I did using decals!




How to make a decal 

1. Transfer a design on a stamper as usual. 


2. Let it dry for a bit. Use a dotting tool to add colors to the design. If you are using multiple colors, make sure you dry each additions to avoid mixing colors. 


3. Let it dry completely. Then put a top coat over the design. Dry completely. 


4. When dry, using a dotting tool or tweezer, ply it off the stamper. 


5. Place it on nail and press it down gently. 


6. Apply top coat and clean up excess with acetone dipped brush. 


That's it! Pretty simple. Here are some tips. 

1. It is better to use firm stampers rather than using soft squishy ones. The firm stampers tend to transfer images very clear and not distorted. Also, when you ply the decal off, you don't have to worry too much about damaging the surface of the stamper. 

2. When you add colors, you don't have to worry too much about being precise. The lines of the image will show through even you color over it because you will be turning the decals over when you place them on your nails. The first layer (the stamped lines) will show when you flip the decal over. 

3. Timing is important. You have to wait long enough to dry the decal on stamper but if you wait too long, the decal will harden too much and it will be a bit difficult to place on nails. It might not stick to your nail when placed. If that happens, put a thin top coat on your nail and just wait till tacky stage, then place the decal very carefully. 

For this look, I first made the bird decals using a bird image from Messy Mansion plate MM14. While decals are drying, I painted my nails with Essie Borrowed & Blue and OPI It's Frosty Outside (silver glitter). I used birds on wire image from Messy Mansion plate MM14 for stamping with Konad Black Pearl stamping polish. I placed the decals on my nails and finished up with HK Girl top coat. 


I decided to do the bird design because I've seen a lot of birds lately. They are swarming on trees, sky, everywhere!!! 

I hope you try making decals if you have never done so. It takes some time but it's fun to do!

Love,

Little Dot

No comments:

Post a Comment